Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Bathroom Makeover


Bathroom Makeover
When my daughter and son-in-law bought their first home, they knew they would eventually want to makeover their guest bathroom. They completed the project last year and I asked Kelly if she would share their journey in remodeling….and, she agreed.





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After becoming settled in our home for a little over a year, my husband and I decided it was time to tackle our guest bathroom. The bathroom wasn’t the area that needed immediate attention, so it was put on the back burner when we first moved in. In the meantime though, I’d spent a lot of time researching things I liked on houzz.com and pinterest, so I had a pretty good idea going into the project how I wanted it to turn out. Let me first show you some before pictures:



Bathroom Makeover


You can see that this bathroom wasn’t horrible, but it just didn’t fit with the rest of our house, and could certainly use some updating. I think of everything in the bathroom, we kept the tub and one of the light fixtures. We knew the tile in the shower had to go, and we had to invest in a more modern toilet (you can’t tell from the pictures, but that toilet is child size). The vanity was a good size, but when you looked closely you could see obvious wear and tear. So, having said all that, here are some pictures of the bathroom once the demo started:
Bathroom Makeover

Bathroom Makeover

Bathroom Makeover


We also decided we didn’t need the medicine cabinet (we have a nice size linen closet in that bathroom), so we had that taken out and covered up, which you can see in the pictures. The tile we chose for the shower was a mosaic and the tile for the floors was from the same group (actually one of the tiles from the mosaic). Here is some of the tile work:
Bathroom Makeover

Bathroom Makeover


Once the tile was positioned, set, and grouted, it was time to install the vanities. We decided to go with two individual units with a bridge piece to connect them (all from Kohler) and my husband and I put them together ourselves…we have some pretty funny memories from that experience, but that’s neither here nor there. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, we decided to keep one of the light fixtures (the one that hung over the mirror). It had the brushed nickel look that I was going for in the bathroom, and so we carried that to the faucets and knobs. Since we went with two vanities, we decided to go with two mirrors (also with the brushed nickel accessories) and I love that they can tilt!

I’m sure you’ve scrolled down by now, but here are some of our after pictures:
Bathroom Makeover

Bathroom Makeover

Bathroom Makeover

Bathroom Makeover


I had originally thought of a different color for the bathroom, but after seeing the color on the wall, my husband and I both decided we needed a light shade of blue to accent the tile a little better. So, it is actually a different color than what was on there before!

Here's the side-by-side's:
Bathroom MakeoverBathroom Makeover


Bathroom Makeover


Bathroom MakeoverBathroom Makeover




Once all the grunt work was done, I was able to decorate the bathroom with small finishing touches. I made the curtains from a Pinterest tutorial, which was no-sew and super easy.
Bathroom Makeover


The shelves were a recent addition, but also fun and effortless. I purchased a piece of wood at Lowe’s, which they cut [at no-charge] according to my dimensions, put a couple coats of Annie Sloan paint on them, and added the brackets.

Bathroom Makeover

Bathroom Makeover



 Additionally, when my grandmother died last year, I was lucky enough to get one of my grandfather’s paintings that she’d kept since his passing. The colors of the painting went perfectly with the bathroom, and the Texas bluebonnets he painted remind me so much of both of them. I love getting to hang it in my home.
Bathroom Makeover


There is still a large wall in the bathroom, which is not shown in any of the pics, that’s empty. I just haven’t figured out what should go on it yet!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This makeover makes your daughter’s bathroom seem more loved! Yes, the old one was not horrible-looking, but it seems like it lacked some personal touches. So, by putting all those new paint color, vanity, tiles, and other stuff, I can say that their guests would definitely feel more welcomed.

Regards,
Leeanne Dyson

Unknown said...

Hi Leeanne!

Thank you so much for commenting! It is definitely "more loved". It meant so much to me that she wanted to add one of my father's paintings to the room as one of her personal touches!

Have a great day!

Kim